Sunday 16 November 2014

Heart of England Way - Part 4 - Meriden to Henley-in-Arden

What a grey dank day this was.  The sun never chose to show itself and the heavy dew stayed in place all day.  It certainly wasn't a day for taking photographs.  On the plus side though it never rained, temperatures were pleasant and there was no wind.

Queen's Head in Meriden and start of the days walking

When trying to work out the logistics for the day I decided the easiest thing to do was drive the short distance to Meriden and leave my car there for the day and use public transport to get back at the end of the day. 

This is certainly local territory for me and the walk from the Queen's Head up through the churchyard of St Laurence's and across the fields to Berkswell seemed very familiar.  Berkswell Church, like many throughout the country no doubt, are busy commemorating the outbreak of the First World War and those local inhabitants who lost their lives in it.  Walking on my own today gave plenty of opportunity to reflect on that event and those poor young soles who lost their lives, whether the cause itself was right or wrong.

Not the weather for taking countryside shopts today. This pond is between Meriden and Berkswell.


The recent rain has meant that some of the fields were very wet indeed but the recently redecked boardwalk leading out of Berkswell made for a drier passage than may otherwise have been. 
Unusual entrance to Berkswell church

Although it was a dull day weatherwise there was a surprising number of people up and about, walking their dogs or just out for a stroll it seemed.  South of Ballsall Common I caught up with a pleasant gentleman whose retirement plan was to walk Lands End to John O'Groats in stages.  He seemed to be doing rather well by the sounds of it having walked the south West path from Lands End to Minehead and done the Cotswold Way.



I had my mind set on a pot of tea and a cake at the National Trust tea rooms at Baddesley Clinton.  The HoEW goes straight pat the front door after all.  I was to be disappointed however as the entrance fees are collected before the tea room and being a non-member I was forbade access.  I made do with eating mt sandwiches and a bottle of water sat on one of their benches outside watching the smartly dressed people  heading into the property.

Rowington Church


The days walk had been very flat indeed and it was nice to get to the village of Rowington where a few gentle slopes began to appear.  I glanced at my GPS and was shocked when it indicated I was off the HoEW although my map clearly said I was on it.  I later discovered there are two alternative routes from Baddesley to Lowonsford.  I was now far enough away from Coventry for some geocaches I hadn't found to start appearing on my GPS.  I picked up one and failed to find another.

Not something that would normally catch my eye but this splash of colour on an otherwise very grey day just made me smile

As I approached Henley-in-Arden the scenery made a dramatic change.  The path followed a ridge topped with what used to be a Norman stone and timber fort, Beaudesert Castle,  and good views all round.

After descending from hill you quickly arrive in the main street of Henley.  A quick look up and down the street soon identified a tea shop where I had coffee and tiffin which left just enough time to find the station and buy a ticket.  I bumped into the wife of the walker I'd met earlier in the day and was glad to hear he too was nearing the end of the walk, as I'd been a bit worried I hadn't seen him since I'd left him even though I stopped in Baddesley.

A well positioned tea shop in Henley made a good end to a good day

Henley in Arden high street

The journey back was a bit torturous.  The train into Birmingham on a fairly fuill train was fine, stopping at tiny stations I'd never heard off.  Good to see the line being well used.  The bus stop for the 900 bus back to Meriden is straight outside Birmingham Moor Street station, but with it being 5pm on a pre-Christmas Saturday the bus took an eternity to get back to Meriden. Never mind, it was a good and dry 15 mile walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment