Wednesday 5 November 2014

Capital Walk - Part 1 - Seawall to Marshfield

The Capital Walk is a 38 mile route around the outskirts of Cardiff put together by the local Ramblers group.  It is not waymarked as such nor does it appear as a dedicated long distance footpath on OS maps but it is available as a gpx file for uploading onto a GPS.  As I was in the area for the weekend I thought I would tackle the first couple of miles, starting at the seawall near St Bride's Wentlooge.



We'd walked our border collie along the seawall for a bit earlier before he decided he's go and chase the waves without realising that there was deep estuary mud between us and the sea.  A scary moment as he sunk into it looked like he may not get out.  Walking inland after that seemed a safer option!
Start of the Capital Walk - I was surprised to find a short stretch of sand as all the rest of the estuary shoreline is comprised of thick mud.

After a brief stop off to have a look at sheds I carried on up the lanes and finished the walk in by heading off the route and meeting my wife at Marshfield Church.
Garth Bakery - I chuckled when I saw this old lorry container being used as a horse shelter in a field.  It reminded me of a time a few years ago when I tried to find a similar photo to post on FB claiming the lead baker was called Ollie........OllieGarth.  Yes, it wasn't funny then either.

My dog started sniffing in the hedgerow and when I went to investigate I found this poor fellow.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment