Thursday 18 November 2010

Black Head and Black Chew Head

The weather didn't look too good for North Wales or the Lake District so instead I decided to go to the Peak District and climb the county tops called Black Head and Black Chew Head.

Shadow next to the trig point on Black Hill

I parked at Crowden and was pleasantly surprised to find that the car park was free of charge. I headed off north east towards Westend Moss rather than just going up and down the Pennine Way.  I kicked myself afterwards for missing the trig point on Hey Moss that is not marked on the map but is on the Trigpointing website. 

Some of the paths were easy whilst at other times it was hard work dodging all the boggy bits.  I worked on the principle that if I saw Shadow disappear  in the bog ahead of me then it was time to find a different route.

On top of Black Hill I met up with another hill bagger Matt who had come up from Leicester.  The mist came down and I headed south down the Pennine Way.  This section was easier as it is flagged for part of the way.  there are quite a few rivers to cross but plenty of stepping stones to make it not too difficult.

To visit Black Chew Head I detoured off the Pennine Way and up the heather bank, across a boggy area and over a fence to the small cairn on Black Chew Head.
Black Chew Head

A full collection of my photos of County Tops can be found in the following: Flickr Photo Album

No comments:

Post a Comment