Saturday 18 October 2014

Heart of England Way - Part 1 - Milford to Lichfield

With a day's holiday booked and unseasonally warm weather for the time of year, it was time to decide what to do.  Let's have a look at the Heart of England Way (HoEW) I thought.  It's a 102 mile route from Cannock Chase in Staffordshire to the Cotswolds in Gloucestershire. 

I've spent quite a few days on Cannock Chase over the past couple of years shadowing kids doing their Duke of Edinburgh Award walks but have never had a long walk there so quite fancied the idea.

An easy trip up the M6 brought me to Milford Common car park, the start of the walk.  A warning sign said that the car park closes at dusk.  That sounds a bit worrying and seems dependent on the interpretation of dusk by the people with the key. I'd better get a move on.

Start of the Heart of England Way on Milford Common
 
The paths on the Chase are full of pebbles.  I used to think the paths had been made using beach pebbles but now realise that the whole area was formed in the ice age when the pebbles and sand were dumped up here and this is what leads to the unusual landscape and nature.

 

Youv'e been warned.  I didn't test the theory

This 16 mile route from Milford to Lichfield was easy to follow, especially as I had loaded a GPX file of the path into my GPS before leaving home.  So armed with map and GPS I had no excuses. I took an extra couple of diversions off the main path to climb a few hills making it probably an 18 mile day in total.


The Polish War Memorial
There is a good bus service form Lichfield back to Milford that runs every 30 minutes on weekdays, but be warned that the 4.05 bus is full of noisy schoolchildren!



Now how do I get past these!
Apologies for the fairly random order in which the pictures appear in this post!  Try as I might I just cant seem to get them reordered in any sensible manner!


Scenes across the Chase


 
A promising start to the day - disciduous woodland


Good farming practice - ploughing and planting the field but then marking where the footpath is to make it easy for walkers to follow.


I wonder if you can guess what the nearby pub was called?




Time to cross the cabbage field


Autumn colours on the Chase












 
Something to wash down the sanwiches


An old friend that I've visited previously

 
Lunchtime stop - sandwiches and a geocache








Pretty good signage along the path all day




Lichfield - Erasmus Darwin House
  


Cannock Chase Visitor Centre - they serve a fine selection of cakes!.



No comments:

Post a Comment