Monday 10 November 2014

Heart of England Way - Part 3 - Kingsbury to Meriden

The fine Autumnal weather continues, not every day by any means but scattered there amongst the damp November days are some gloriously sunny days like this one.

The early morning fog was still in the air as I left Coventry and headed north to Kingsbury.  Underfoot conditions were damp to say the least and I was wearing some new Solomon light weight, supposedly waterproof, shoes for the first time.  Would they keep the water out I wondered. 



Across a couple of fields and I arrived at the firing range and some confusing signage.  Not the place to make a mistake I thought.  I'd decided not to bring the dog with me as he's had enough frightening experiences lately with all the fireworks around.  Across the field I could see the Kingsbury Oil terminal, the biggest in,and terminal in the country. 

From a distance I thought these posts were a fence keeping this fine fellow in but as I got nearer I realised there was no fence!  Luckily he stayed where he was.


From then on it was pretty much open countryside all day.  There were no villages to pass through and any road walking was of short distances on very minor roads, almost tracks in some instances.  The milky sunshine made for a great light.


My lunchtime stop next to this sceenic pond






The farmers had been busy ploughing and the HoEW hadn't always been reinstated. after ploughing.  There was only one field just immediately north of the M6 that was in a bad condition with ankle deep mud. 
Strike one!


Walking through Meriden shafts I caught up with another walker, Harry. A pleasant fellow who like me used weekend walking to recharge his batteries.  I left him near the Queen's Head in Meriden as he carried on for Berkswell and I finished my 15 mile walk with a nice pint of Spitfire beer.......and I'm pleased to say, dry feet!



No comments:

Post a Comment