Saturday 1 January 2011

Port Talbot Marilyns

Time for a bit of a walk after the excesses of Christmas.  Also time to try to complete the Marilyns on Section 32C.  I parked in the side streets of Aberavon and walked up the Avon Afan to Cwmafan watching the cormorants on the way.

Cormorant fishing in Avon Afan

After negotiating the streets of Cwmafan I was onto the narrow lanes tat led me up onto Foel Fynyddau which I approached for the last half mile along a footpath from the west.  There were no views from the top as the mist was down. I could hardly see the nearby masts. All I could hear was the occasional voice in the distance but I didn't see anyone.  The trig point looked in good condition.

The misty top of Foel Fynyddau

Back on the lanes, I headed south and then along footpaths and up to Mynydd Dinas, the hill that overlooks Port Talbot.

Abandoned farm vehicles adding to the bleakness of the day.

In all the years of driving past Port Talbot I have never been up here and neither have most people by the looks of it.  Although there are footpaths leading up the hill the way to the actual trig point and summit is far lass clear and not easy to find.  Again the trig point looks in good condition.

Trig Point on top of Mynydd Dinas

There is a steep decent back down to Port Talbot that needed care in today's damp conditions with snow left over from the pre-Christmas falls. once below the cloud level I could see the town of Port Talbot looking gray and dreary, reminding me of that Max Boyce line:  Is that the sun or the moon?  I don't know I'm, from Port Talbot.
A dreary view over Port Talbot steel works.

Section 32C of the Marilyns now completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment